When my nephew was diagnosed with Friedriech's Ataxia (FA) in 2004, I decided to try and do everything possible to help in the fight towards a treatment and cure. Being part of the babelFAmily group is one piece of the puzzle.
This organization has existed for a few years and started out as a group that provides news to FA patients, families, doctors and researchers in multiple languags (10 today). Our website, not launched yet officially is http://www.babelfamily.org it utilizes many social networking tools, forums, video, photos, etc.
There are translators across the world in the UK, Turkey, Germany, France, US, Russia and more working for free in their spare time to translate all this information. The organization is growing fast, and the group is becoming more than a news provider but also a full-fledged non-profit with additional services and fundraising activities.
The organization is:
- international / global reaching
- pulling (tying) together other FA organizations across the world to bridge information gaps
- dedicated to helping find a cure
- professional, forward thinking, modern in use of technology
- the "FA" in the word babelFAmily stands for "Friedreich's Ataxia" which is the disease
- the "babel" is of course referencing the multilingual aspect of our information being translated continuously
- and "family" because when you find out about the disease and talk to people with it or around it, you naturally become part of the family