I love the beach and live in Santa Monica. I chose "Pacific" for a couple reasons:
1. 90% of hedge funds are in New York / Connecticut, and I want a distinctly different vibe than Wall Street / old money
2. All of my initial investors border the Pacific Ocean (California, Taiwan, and Australia).
I chose "Sand" for several reasons:
1. The sand makes me think of the beach, which is my happy place and is where I'm located
2. A speck of sand is small and insignificant, but the accumulation of a lot of sand can create spectacular things like beaches and mountains. This is congruent with the purpose of my investment fund. We're starting small, but if I do a good job, over time, we can build the fund into something large and spectacular
3. Leading scientists estimate that for every speck of sand on Earth, there are 10x the number of stars in our universe. I find that statistic mindboggling. It's a reminder of how incredibly large and vast the world is, and in the context of the universe, we've only really explored a few specks of sand.
4. Burning Man is one of my favorite weeks of the year, and there's a lot of sand on the playa.
I'm managing people's money so I absolutely need to convey professionalism and sophistication, but I'd like to have some California / West Coast flavor.
Pacific Sand Capital is my first business. It's my baby. Please design something awesome!