Need a logo for a soon-to-be-launched site / company designed to pitch technologies in the Ruby (on Rails) space to companies. Will be looking to hire winning designer again later for additional projects.
My company will soon be launching an interactive informational site designed to help companies select the right programming technologies for their projects. The site will help companies get from "what do I do?" and "which do I choose?" through "what's the best way to do it?" and all the way to "who can I hire to get this done at each step along the way?"
The company culture is professional and sharp, but also a litlte quirky. Somewhat 'Web 2.0'. Fun designs are desired so long as they are suitable for professional environments and so long as they can also be adapted to multiple mediums, from the site, to the business cards and stationary, to the eventual sign on our building ;)
I don't have any preconceived notions about the logo, so I'm open to anything. Of course, that also means I don't have all that much by way of guidance to start, but you're the creative ones, not me :D
Common themes in the Ruby / Rails technology areas are:
- ruby (the gem)
- train tracksNot married to any of them, but sharing just in case it's helpful.
Other companies in the space with logos I like:
- Engine Yard
- New Leaders
- WritelyI don't think there's any common element among them, but there they are just the same.
- Standard Ruby Red (see the Ruby on Rails logo for colors); can also include white and/or black, maybe yellow for highlights, but ideally, not much more
- WhyRuby and WhyRuby.com variation
- Clean, crisp, professional style
- Okay with a variation with a question mark if it helps
- Selected logo delivered in PSD or AI format
- Too many colors
- A logo that's too big or too unconventionally sized; that just leads to more complication later
- Anything that looks too much like I could've made it in print shop :P