Must feel like "wow" and make the biggest possible impact at first sight, should wake wanderlust and interest in general. It should touch the reader's heart by making him/her want to grow together as a family and "walk on the wild side", experience adventures, start something new. It should assure the reader that we have the knowledge on how to live that dream with kids, how to make travelling an educating and sustainable adventure for the whole family.
- Header: No information overload. No slider, but one representing, emotional header image over the whole width of the site. it should be warm and compelling, wake people's wanderlust and somehow transport the idea of a "family team on tour".
Sticky header, intuitive menu, logo to the left.
Main menu: Home, About us, Blog (sub-category dropdown: travel life, family life, health life, sustainable life), Video, Pictures, interactive world map (see: planetbackpack.com), Contact, Search button. (Later on: products/shop).
Logo on the left (figuring as homebutton as well). Not yet created, just use wild card
Integrate Social Media Buttons: FB, Youtube, Twitter, Pinterest somewhere on the upper right.
Footer: Contact, Subscribe, About us, Disclaimer, Imprint, Privacy Statement, Press (middle); social media buttons: FB, Twitter, youtube, Pinterest (right)
- Header image title: (domain name) to be determined
- Header subtitle: short, sharp and catchy description of who we are/what we do, like: Explore the planet. Give your kids roots to stand strong and wings to fly. Or: Simplify your life - go back to the roots. Or: Feel that breeze of freedom. Adventure, learn and grow independently/your own way. Please feel free to optimise.
Content Homepage (scroll down, 1-3 columns, 2 thirds/1 third - structure? not sure about the sidebar/widgets)
- newest blogposts (3, with date, 1 pic)
- favorite blogposts (3, 1 pic)
- newsletter subscription: simple and straight, offering regular updates and more information.
- interactive world map: where we have been and where we are (see http://www.planetbackpack.de)
- space for advertisement (either whole witdh sections or sidebar widgets)
2. page - Blog with already labeled sub-categories (1 small icon next to every post for each subcategory), 1 or 2 columns for the blogposts (alternating is also possible), 1/3 small column on the right for "about us" shortcut, newsletter signup, later on shop and ad widgets -> for example see blogpage of off-the-path.com or http://www.planetbackpack.de
- clearity and easy to find information ist most important thing, one of the favorites and 1-2 newest blogposts showing up first
- 1-5 pictures per post
- below the article I'd like a section offering articles that may also be of interest for the reader (and a shop link later on).
- possibility to leave comments
- row for a daily compelling quote (and sharing options) for example below top image?
3. page - Video blog: a representing, short but emotional video introducing us as a family with short history and plan of our journey, linking to youtube-channel with a compelling short text to engage the reader and make him interested in the video blog.
- will be producing this by ourselves and upload when ready
I don't know if the about, contact etc pages each count for a whole page - it would be one design for all, keep it simple and clear, one pic, here I think the text (which we would provide of course) is the key point - it should just fit into the whole website context.